2.18.2011

DIY Mini Crocheted Bunting

mini crocheted bunting

Can a person ever have too many garlands? Not if they make you happy! And this little spring garland has me smiling (Lord knows I could use some smiles this week).

Here's the pattern so you can crochet some smiles too.

DIY crochet bunting

Materials: Fine crochet thread (size 20 or 30) in a variety of colors, and a size 10 crochet hook

Step 1: Crochet 12 mini pennants.
  1. Chain 2.
  2. 2 single crochet (sc) in first chain. Chain 1, turn.
  3. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next stitch. Chain 1, turn.
  4. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next two stitches. Chain 1, turn.
  5. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next three stitches. Chain 1, turn.
  6. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next four stitches. Chain 1, turn.
  7. 1 sc in each stitch. Chain 1, turn.
  8. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next five stitches. Chain 1, turn.
  9. 1 sc in each stitch. Chain 1, turn.
  10. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next six stitches. Chain 1, turn.
  11. 1 sc in each stitch. Chain 1 and fasten off.
  12. Finish pennant by weaving in the tail at the top of the pennant, and cutting the tail at the bottom close to the point. Dab a little clear nail polish on the tip to prevent unravelling.
Step 2: Chain the pennants together to form garland.
  1. Using the thread you've selected for the chain, chain 40.
  2. Slip stitch the chain to the top right corner of the first pennant. Chain 7. Slip stitch the chain to the top left corner of the pennant.
  3. Chain 40. Repeat Step 2 for each pennant until all pennants are attached to garland. Chain 40. Fasten off.
Hang your garland and be happy!

Some color ideas: Primary colors for a babies room. Team or school colors. Alternating colors on a neutral chain.

Can't you just imagine bunting crocheted from jute? Ooh, I might have to break out a larger crochet hook and get hooking. Maybe after I knit a few rows on my sweater. My neighbor (not the screamer) is taking my kids to a movie this afternoon, and I have a date with my needles, the couch, and Netflix. I'll be starting my weekend early. Enjoy yours!

18 comments:

  1. Yes, I think I should make a mini bunting because it is just so cute. thanks for the tutorial, Molly. Enjoy the early start to your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it !
    funny because i had started a similar (hum a few minths ago) but had planned on slipping the little crocheted "flags" onto a hemp string to hang... now I think i should go find my WIP somewhere in my stash box & finish it !!!
    yours heart bunting looks fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute little garland. i'm not too great with crocheting yet, but you've got me wanting to sew one up, maybe today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a cheerful little garland. I hope that your weekend is just as cheerful.
    Right now the weather here is dismal. I could use some color therapy. Yesterday was lovely blue;today, icky gray with cold mizzles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooo pretty! Need to get home to my crochet hooks! New I should travel with ALL of them...

    Thank you for the tute!

    Tids xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little pennants. The variegated thread is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the quince in your banner is gorgeous, it will always remind me of my grandfather who loved his quince tree and we would gather cuttings from it to bring indoors... i am a firm believer that no, you can never have too many garlands! what a sweet happy garland molly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I just started crocheting again. I finished a totebag and have started a Flower shawl. I think it will take me quite a while!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glee! I've been waiting all week (at least!) for you to post this.

    'tis I your site meter bumping stalker!


    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly - super cute - you are so generous to share with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just too flippin' cute molly...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for these tutorials. I am new to crochet and love the possibilities! I did finally decide on what to take on our trip. I have actually been knitting on my sweater! (and yes, our trip is only 5 days)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is the cutest bunting ever! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore this, I did something similar with stars instead of flags for my Christmas tree last year, it was a big hit.

    The colours are really lovely too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you are sharing these with us. A little bit of happy.
    these would be really fun in a doll house :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. just got the hook i needed to make these! can't wait! i love, love, love banners! :)
    jessy

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |